Free Patterns


Welcome. if you are here looking for free patterns you will find them listed in a menu on the right of this page. You may have to scroll down. Click on what interests you. A page will come up with the pattern. Click on "File" in the upper left hand corner. Then click on "download original". If you like what you see click on "save a copy " in the floating toolbar at the bottom of the page. I hope the pattern makes up for these extra steps. Enjoy.



Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Deaf Mouse

I discovered i am going deaf.  Saw the audiologist who took the tests and confirmed I needed hearing aids.  She was patient and pleasant while fitting the aids, programming them for my needs, explaining how to use them and answering all my questions.  I returned in a week to insure no further adjustments were needed, and while there went on and on about hearing birds, the wheels on grocery carts, the rustle of leaves and more, much more.   She sat behind her desk with a big smile, saying nothing when I realized she had heard this all before many times.  I was impressed with the fact that despite thirty years of doing this job she could still be delighted when hearing of someone's joy at being able to hear again.  I wanted to give her a little something as a token of my appreciation, and decided to make her a little mouse wearing hearing aids.  I thought it might give her a laugh.  So I came up with this.  I think you can see her hearing aids.  Several people have asked for the pattern.  The mouse was made from my pattern The Knitting Club, a picture of which is at the top of this blog.  The pattern for the jumper is just the Grandma's skirt with a garter stitch waist band added, and the straps are four stitch wide garter stitch straps crossed in the back.  The hearing aids are 3 stitch I cord 4 rows long.  I left yarn tails at both ends.  One goes in the ear and the other was used to tack the hearing aid in place.  If you want to make this feel free to ask any questions you have.  I will be glad to help.

4 comments:

  1. so adorable! my son wears hearing aids and *loves* mice (especially geronimo stilton), so i will definitely be knitting this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks smartygirl. If you have any questions I would be glad to help.

      Delete
  2. That is cute! And what a great audiologist you had. Obviously the lady enjoys her job- bringing the joy of hearing things again to people, it must be very rewarding.

    Keep enjoying the birdsong and the other sounds of life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On top of all she has already done she made it clear I can drop in anytime to have the hearing aids cleaned or make an apointment for further adjustments and all at no fee. A lovely lady.

      Delete